Once a month I will be sitting down with some of the countries top wedding planners to pick their brains, asking them to spill the beans on all their tips and secrets. This week I interviewed the fabulous Julie Dawson of www.theweddinggenie.co.uk
What are the first things a bride should think about when starting to plan her wedding?
• Set your priorities. Successful weddings are ones that truly reflect a couples style and personality. Decide what is really important on your wedding day, what you both absolutely want and won’t compromise on. Make a list of 3 -5 main areas and carry it wherever you go. It may be the venue, the photographer, the dress. Whatever they are, they are laying the foundation of your wedding plans.
• Choose the Style of Wedding and Set the Date. Decide on a church or civil service, modern or traditional style for example.
• Set A Budget!! Most important. If not you will run up your own national debt. You can apportion your priorities to it so that out of the money you have you should definitely spend on the areas that are most important to you. Everything can be moved around. Remember it’s your money and you can spend it how you like.
• Make a guest list – Your guests make your wedding special so think about who you really want to be there. The numbers will also impact on your budget.
• Choose a venue – do this early many popular venues can be booked up a year or so in advance.
• Choose a photographer – this is really important, your photographs are what’s left of your day when everything is over. Good photographers get booked early too.
If you put these big rocks in place you will be well on the way to a great plan. Remember, planning is easier if you cut it up into bite sized chunks. Making too many lists is overwhelming and confusing. Most of all have the wedding you want and not the one everyone else wants you to have.